Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Beryllium Sphere Activate!


I chose beryllium because it is an important story component in one of my favorite movies. In Galaxy Quest the crew goes in search of a beryllium sphere in order to replace the one they broke, crucial because of its function in their propulsion system. I've now demonstrated that I am a big geek, and yes, I like Star Trek too.

Beryllium is the chemical element that has the symbol Be and atomic number 4. Elemental beryllium is a steel grey, strong, light-weight yet brittle, alkaline earth metal. It is primarily used as a hardening agent in alloys. It has the highest melting point of the light metals. Precious forms of beryl are aquamarine and emerald. Beryllium and its salts are toxic substances and potentially carcinogenic.

1 comment:

Luke-Reeves said...

as a fan of galaxy quest also, I was wondering how beryllium could be used for energy.